BRING THE ADIRONDACKS INTO YOUR CLASSROOM
|A Hike in the Adirondacks
Print This Challenge
|Grade: 3rd - 6th grades
Class: Performing arts
Peru Central School
|NYS Content Area Standard:
Standard 1: Creating, Performing, and Participating in the Arts
|NYS Interdisciplinary Standard:
||Adirondack Curriculum Content Area:
Health, Recreation & Life SkillsCulture & The Arts
|Keywords: recreation, movement|
|Investigative Question or Issue: Using movement and music, how can you demonstrate leisure activities common to the Adirondacks?|
Purpose: Creative Movement: locomotor and non-locomotor
Materials: Recording: Rhythmically Moving CD 2. Track 14. "Soldier's Joy"
- Find a place in the room, so that the group is well spread out.
- Start walking to the music and explore different floor patterns (lines, circles, spirals, squares, etc.)
- A Section: Fix a floor pattern with 32 beats, repeat by doing it in reverse so that you come "home" to your starting point after 64 beats.
- Add everyday movement (looking at watch, reading, tripping, sneezing, stumbling, bird watching, photo opportunities, waving)
- B Section: Whole group is divided into smaller groups of 5 people who stand close to each other at their starting point at their "home". Brainstorm ideas of things that people can do in the Adirondacks. Every group then chooses one activity that could be developed into 8 poses (similar to taking eight photos one right after the other). In the choreography, the shapes will be held for four beats (32 total). They "jump" into position on the first beat for each pose, freeze and then "junp" into the second pose.
- C Section: Find eight gestures to be performed in unison by the entire group. Eah pose will be held for four beats (see above).
- Introduction (4 beats)
- (A) Fixed floor pattern (64 beats)
- (B) Group "pictures"/groups 1 & 2 (32 beats)
- (C ) Unison gestures (32 beats)
- (A') Fixed floor pattern (64 beats)
- (B' ) Group "pictures" /groups 3&4 (32 beats)
- (C') Unison gestures (32 beats)
- (A") Fixed floor pattern (64 beats)
- (B") Group "pictures" /all groups (32 beats)
- (C") Unison gestures (32 beats)
- (A"') Fixed floor pattern (64 beats)
An Arts Forever Wild challenge
- Challenge will be ready at the end of thirty-five minutes
- Group "pantomime" should be clear to other groups/audience
- Motions are clear and crisp
- You are able to walk a beat
- You create a fixed floor pattern
|Product Quality Checklist
Print This Checklist
|Standard/Criteria:||Points Possible:||Points Awarded:|
Challenge finished on time
Group "pantomime" was clear to others
Motions were clear and crisp
Demonstrated by walking a steady beat
Demonstrated ability to design a fixed pattern on the floor
This Challenge has not yet received any recommendations.