BRING THE ADIRONDACKS INTO YOUR CLASSROOM
|Signs, Storytelling & Songs
Print This Challenge
|Grade: K - 4th grade||
Tupper Lake Central School
|NYS Content Area Standard:
History of the United States and New York
|NYS Interdisciplinary Standard:
Career Development & Occupational Studies:
Standard 3a: Universal Foundation Skills
|Adirondack Curriculum Content Area:
|Keywords: storytelling, sign language|
|Investigative Question or Issue: How can you use signs or gestures to to augment story telling or songs about our community?|
Note from author: To help the students create ideas into stories and/or song, Adirondack Folksinger Peggy Lynn will perform some of her works to act as a model for what the challenge is to create. If possible, she would also assist with the creation/editting of stories and songs.
Create a story or song about our community using signs and/or gestures to augment your oral presentation.
1. First, choose a topic about our community, people in it, employment, historical events, local places, etc.
2. Research this topic. Your research should include facts and be thorough enough to develop into a short story or song (3-4 paragraphs or verses).
3. Develop your story or song (you may borrow familar melodies).
4. In each sentence/line, select the most meaningful words or the words which best describe the overall meaning of the passage/verse/sentence.
5. Using a sign dictionary, locate the signs for the chosen words. If specific signs are not available, develop gestures which would convey meaning of the targetted word.
6. Practice telling/performing your story or song using both spoken words and signs/gestures.
7. Perform your story/song.
1. Work on task as independently as possible.
2. Choose your story/song topic.
3. Develop your story/song idea.
4. Research your topic.
5. Create a short story or song (3-4 paragraphs or verses).
6. Select important idea or words in each verse. Find signs or create gestures to convey these words.
7. Practice your song or story.
8. Perform your story or song
|Product Quality Checklist
Print This Checklist
|Standard/Criteria:||Points Possible:||Points Awarded:|
Develop song/story idea - it will be about.....
Research your topic gathering facts
Determine if you will create a song or story
Create your song or story of 3-4 paragraphs or verses
Select important words, ideas, or themes in your story or song
Locate signs or create gestures to accompany these words, ideas, or themes.
Practice your story or song.
Perform your story or song.
Work as independently as possible
This Challenge has not yet received any recommendations.